[本] The Alchemist

Author: Paulo Coelho

Genre: Fantasy, Love, Religion, Journeys, Life, Fable

Summary: A young Andalusian shepherd sets out on a quest to fulfill his own personal legend after having recurring dreams of finding treasure. On his journey he meets various people who help him out on his journey, both spiritually and physically, and discover things much more valuable than what he first set out to seek.

Review: I started reading this sometime last year, a couple of months ago, vaguely forgot about it, read other books, and picked it up again and finished it just now. I took rather longer to read this, with intervals in between besides, and yet, I do not really feel the ~gap~. This is probably because The Alchemist is one of those books, that are warm and comfortable and simple, that you couldn't get lost in even if you tried.

This is also the third work Paulo Coelho I've read, and I've come to the conclusion that I adore his books, and care very little for his essays/reflections - which just seem to me like psycho-spiritual mambo jumbo. Good psycho-spiritual mambo jumbo, mind you, but not really my cup of tea. His stories, however, (I've only read two so far - this one and The Witch of Portebello) are amazing.

What I liked the most was how the characters - except for the boy whose journey the book is about (despite the title referring to someone else entirely) - seem to possess a sort of ephemeral quality, like mirages in the desert, because what is actually important is the boy, and what he chooses to do to fulfill his own personal legend. It is, simply put, a fable, and it is very well done.

Rating: 10/10

Quotes:

⑇At Song-Stories ⑇

Note: Because JE owns my soul, and this starts out in Andalusia, it spurs up fantastically superb images of mystery and romance from the very start.  <3

0 comments:

Post a Comment