Fire and Hemlock


Author: Diana Wynne Jones

Genre: Fantasy

Summary: At nineteen, Polly has two sets of sometimes overlapping, sometimes conflicting memories, the real-life ones of school days and her parents’ divorce,
and the heroic adventure ones that began the day she accidentally gate-crashed a funeral and met the cellist Thomas Lynn. This is supposed to be a modern retelling of Tam Lin.

Review: This book has been one of my favorites since the day I randomly picked it out in the school Library some light years ago. From the first page onward the book had me fascinated with its peculiar way of telling the story of Polly (this was my very first Diana Wynne Jones book mind you). Then it got me hooked onto the funny Mr.Lynn and his out of this world driving style! And him swearing somehow became the funniest thing ever! Alright, yeah, I had a crush on him. But how could you not have a crush on him?

Anyway, some of the things I noticed about this book was that it was so very realistic and at the same time so very improbable. But now that I've read other books of D.W.J, I only too well know of her gift of making everything make sense in the end, however impossible the situation might be. This might even be the most subtle and vague book of hers. (I like subtle and vague books of hers)

There's the whole Play Pretend of Polly and Tom that got me real interested. They made everything up so effortlessly that it left me gaping at their awesome imaginative ability (is there such a thing?). Polly and Tom had a great chemistry too. I should consider talking to strangers, men in particular. Who knows, he just might send me parcels of books wherever he goes. ^-^

Quotes:

"Only thin, weak thinkers despise fairy stories. Each one has a true, strange fact in it, you know, which you can find if you look." Tom

“For you, the only way to behave well was to behave badly. For me, the only way to win was to lose. You weren’t to know me, and I wasn’t to remember you.” Polly

Rating: 10/10 ('cause i just adore To- I mean the book)

Inspirations: Made me want to hone my rusting imaginative ability (?) and also inspired me to talk to strange men - I'm joking!


8 comments:

Laora April 7, 2008 at 3:36 PM  

Um, I haven't finished it yet. Do you REALLY like Tom?
-_- I dunno what to say, un. I'll have to finish the book, and I'll comment again.
But it's difficult to read, ne? I mean, I finished "A walk to remember" in one go! (If not for me having watched the movie, I would've cried. But it was an enjoyable read nevertheless) With this book I have to squint with my GLASSES ON to figure out what the heck is happening.
Sorry if you're offended, but I love Howl more. WAY more. Way way way more.

Laora April 7, 2008 at 3:41 PM  

A word of caution- if you're planning on speaking to strange men, at least pick out the un-pierced, reasonably hair-styled, (a-word-in-the-edgeways;but-good-looking) guy. I'm serious. *nods*

Fabler April 7, 2008 at 7:19 PM  

Yep, I really like Tom! I'm thinking it might be just me...ROFL

Yeah I admit that its not an easy read, but I kinda like a story that is not so obvious. I mean, um, lets see, there was no way that you could predict what would happen next, not even in the ending chapter.

In most stories, you would at least have an idea of what would happen next but in Fire and Hemlock I failed to predict, and that made me surprisingly satisfied.

And the humor is very sparingly scattered throughout the book and I think if you have an attachment to the characters only then will you appreciate it.

I've come to a point that too much humor in a book fails to impress me and only make me think that its, em, gaudy. Subtle humor is the best!

And I would've been more than happy to write a review for HMC, but the honor of doing that is already reserved. Nau chan will do an awesome job of doting over Howl as she writes the review! ^.^

lilac wraith April 7, 2008 at 8:12 PM  

I adore this book to bits! And yeah youre write all dwj's books are vague and realistic and improbable. That's what we love about em i guess..

And I'll try to post the HMC review soon ^_^

lilac wraith April 7, 2008 at 8:12 PM  

And be careful of the talking to strange men thing. i do not want you kidnapped, thnx -___-'

Anonymous April 11, 2008 at 3:48 AM  

Found your site through clicking "Fire and Hemlock" on my profile.

It is one of my all time favorite books! Haha and so you don't feel left out. . .I kinda had a crush on Tom when I read the book >///<

At the moment I'm tring to convince my mom to read it. . .

I really enjoy this site^^ Glad to find DWJ fans. =]

Fabler April 11, 2008 at 6:29 PM  

Oh, thank you so much amy! We're really glad you liked this blog! Do come and read more DWJ books' reviews and some other cool stuff we find.

Anonymous April 12, 2008 at 2:40 AM  

I'll be glad to!

Post a Comment