Hotaru no Hikari

Glow of the Firefly
ホタルノヒカリ
Cast:
Ayase Haruka as Amemiya Hotaru
Fujiki Naohito as Takano Seiichi
Kuninaka Ryoko as Saegusa Yuuka
Kato Kazuki as Teshima Makoto
Takeda Shinji as Jinguuji Kaname
Itaya Yuka as Yamada Sachiko
Yasuda Ken as Futatsugi Shouji

Genre: Romance, Comedy, Office

Episodes: 10

Summary: Amemiya Hotaru is a Himono-onna (Dried fish-woman). This means that although she puts up a presentable face of a put-together mature woman at work, as soon as she gets home, she goes into complete relax mode, wearing track suits, chomping on snacks, gulping down beer straight from the can and lying around the house with her humongous dolphin shaped pillow, using newspapers as blankets.

Even her (extremely messy) house happens to be one she got at a bar, the so-called "contract" for it scribbled on the back of a napkin.

Following a separation from his wife, Hotaru's section chief at work, who also happens to be the son of the man who gave his house to Hotaru, decides to move back to his parents house, although his father is supposed to be traveling. Little does he know of his father's contract in the bar and the Himono-onna now occupying the place.

As both of them want to stay in the house, (Ahomiya because the house and it's porch is her favorite place is in the entire world and Buchou since it's his parents house) and since Buchou (Section chief) comes to the conclusion that as the Himono-onna cannot be truly considered as a woman and thus it wouldn't matter, they decided to live together.

Meanwhile, the Himono-onna falls in love with the young, gorgeous and smart designer who came back from London, Teshima Makoto. But it has been ages since she has even thought of such things, so what's a himono-onna, who is "finished as a woman" to do? Ask her Buchou for help of course.

Review: I LOVED this. It has been quite a while since something made me laugh this much. It's hillarious. Specially all the interactions between the Himono-onna and Buchou. They way Buchou called Ammemiya "Ahomiya" (Aho means idiot) and how she called herself that when she talked to him was also so adorable. And them calling eachother and themselves stuff like "Hotaru-who-is-trying-a-little-bit" and "Can-do-anything-without-even-trying-buchou" and stuff were so damn ADORABLE.

I also loved all the various stuff that Buchou called Ammemiya. Like Hebi-onna (snake woman, on the occasion she came slithering around the house coz she was panicking) or Kame-onna (turtle woman, when she crawled around the house with her phone on her back coz she didn't dare read the message she got from Teshima) or Tire-onna (apparently rolling around is the best thing to do when you feel complex emotions. XD)

Ayase Haruka was beyond awesome in this. Perfectly Himono-onnaish. *nods* So was Tada-sensei-ermm I mean the guy who played the part of Buchou. He was so annoyingly arragont and awesome while being actually kinda nice, made me totally fall in love with him too. Total redemption from his annoying NICE-ness in Prodai. ^_^

I don't know what to say about Teshima Makoto. He was certainly gorgeous, and also so damn awesome, that for the first nine episodes of the series I was all like "I want one of those~" but in the very last episode he managed to make himself so unlikable by being all tragic heroic good guy-ey. Seriously dude, I liked you, I respected you and then you have to go all tragic story book character on me. Pffft.
Ah well, I suppose it's a good thing you made me hate you, Teshima Makoto, so there is no Nakatsuism. *nods*

This was an amazing drama. Granted, there were occasional slightly boring bits, when they did office work and stuff, but the Himono-onna and Buchou made the entire thing worth watching. And the office stuff had some rather sweet side stories too. Loved this. It's a MUST watch. *nods like Kero-chan with folded arms*

Music: Yokogao by Aiko

Rating: 9/10

Quotes:
At work they put on the face of a lively office lady, but as soon as they go home, they change into a jersey as soon as possible. Hair too, like this *piles her hair up on the head* Samurai-style topknot, and they might even scratch their butts. A snack in one hand, gulping down canned beer with the other. On weekends, they don't even go on dates to try and meet people, but go straight home. When they don't have work, all they do is eat and sleep, eat and sleep... Not a SINGLE guy around her.

~Yamada nee-san explaining what a Himono-onna is

***
Amemiya: Manager...
Is it really okay?
You said you couldn't face your wife... if you had to live together with a woman...
Manager: Well... You're not a woman after all..
Amemiya: Eh?
Manager: Your clothes, your life style, not a SINGLE bit of elegance. You're like a dried up Himono.
Yes, You're a Himono-onna.
Amemiya: Himono... onna?
Manager: You are no longer a woman. You are already dried up. You're finished as a woman. Hence, I came to the conclusion that there will be no problem living with you.
Isn't it great?
***
More Quotes?
***


Note: I have finally discoverd what species I belong to... *oh ho ho ho*
Also, this may possibly be the only drama I watched without a Johnny in it and I LOVED it. Who would have thunk?
And despite the lack of johnnys when I hear Teshima's name I think of Teshi. I seriously need help.

5 comments:

Fabler November 6, 2008 at 6:58 PM  

Ah, this is nostalgic~ One of the first dramas I watched. Totally loved it! The bits when Ahomiya would shout BUCHOU and the parts where our beloved buchou would bellow AHOmiya is still imprinted in my memory.

And the part where she got kissed by Teshima was hilarious, oh and buchou and amemiya confessing to each other was simply UNIQUE!

Though I gotta say Teshima was SO lacking in personality. Didn't like him at all, only just his face ^o^

Za November 6, 2008 at 10:38 PM  

How many dramas have you watched Fably-chan?*I feel inferior even though I KNOW 62 is superior)

Seems like this is gonna be next on my list.. thanks Li-chan,for updating(unlikesomepeoplewhoneverbothers*hint*Fabler*hint*)

Fabler November 7, 2008 at 9:33 AM  

Just watch za bozu, I'll update and its gonna be magnificent.

lilac wraith November 7, 2008 at 10:28 PM  

What do you mean teshima was lacking in personality? He was like all kinds of awesomely shy and still did stupid things like deciding to confess to her in past tense and randomly kissing her while she was sleeping. :P

And I shall wait fably. (since threats don't seem to work i shall try to be amiable *nods*)

Laora November 10, 2008 at 6:46 AM  

IT'S GOT THAT SENSEI GUY FROM Proposal Daisakusen!! Is that the hero?? I HATE him!!! I dunno, I can't forgive him! It's this phobia... see, right after PD where I didn't really like him, I saw him as a completely unforgivable person in Kimi wo Petto. Thus, my animosity towards him is unusually vicious. I think he comes somewhere between Raito and Pain, in my ratings.

Gah, can't watch it.

Post a Comment