The Big Bang Theory


Cast:
Johnny Galecki as Leonard Hofstadter
Jim Parsonsas as Sheldon Cooper
Kaley Cuoco as Penny
Simon Helberg as Howard Wolowitz
Kunal Nayyar as Rajesh Koothrappali
[Wiki here]

Genre: Comedy, Science, Friendship

Episodes: Season 1: 17, Season 2: 23

Summary: Leonard and Sheldon share an apartment. They are both physicists, possessing Ph.Ds and a definite lack of proper social skills. Sheldon, who has the highest IQ (a fact which he is all too aware of), is by far the worst, failing at understanding even sarcasm, but they are pretty much all in the same boat, along with their two friends Raj and Howard. Penny, a pretty, blond, aspiring actress (who is in the meanwhile working at the cheesecake factory) moves across the hall from Leonard and Sheldon. The fun begins.

Review: I find it amusing that the post right below this about Yamato Nadeshiko Shichihenge, where the situation is pretty much the reverse.

In this sitcom, unlike the anime/manga, the four guys are the ones who lack social skills, and it's the girl who is pretty, popular and normal, with the guys striving to attain a score of normalcy. Or you know, just, score.

I personally loved all of Sheldon's interactions with... anyone really, the most, because he just doesn't understand how the 'inferior' (according to him, since he himself is apparently a mutation, a new, improved version, a new evolutionary species) mind works at all, and all his social observations are hilarious. His life is incredibly routine, organized, and everything, to the tiniest detail, has to be Sheldon approved. Poor everyone else who has to put up with him. XD

It's incredibly amusing how they all (especially Sheldon) describe stuff, and basically do anything, because their perspective is certainly different, and even the simplest things are cause for extensive debate. With unnecessarily non-common words. Also,  hyperbole is much win. And superheroes and Spock are srs biznss.

All in all, fun. Worth watching. I'll make sure to get the third season from my cousin too~ 

Rating: 8/10

Quotes:
***
***

Note: Short review is short, I know. However, it is part of my new year's plans to review everything I watch/read this year, so I am making an attempt. Yes, this is the first thing I've watched or read so far this year (Not counting keeping-up-with-Manga-reading). Will attempt to do so in the future too. Now I gotta go study for my Economics A'Level unit 1, which is tomorrow. [Yes, I do realize that this is not the best time to go around watching sitcoms all in one go. -_-']

3 comments:

Fabler January 12, 2010 at 3:37 PM  

My bro recommended this for me and was so eager to share this with me which doesn't happen very often. Wanted to put up some dialogues while I was watching this but never got around to it ^^; (they never seemed to make sense when I read them later!) Also for some reason the episodes seemed to become less funny as I went along, don't really wanna see the second season...

And it fine~ I had to finish this in one go too, couldn't press the close button. And exam times are for finishing mangas and sitcoms in one sitting really. Never underestimate the power of procrastination!

lilac wraith January 12, 2010 at 8:30 PM  

I think it must be some sorta little brother thing. Same thing with me, really, my Irukokko brought his hard drive over, copying it into a folder he created and labeled 'Miithi Balachey'. Then he showed me random amusing bits EVEN THOUGH he had told me about it multiple times before too.

Mmm. I thought the second season was actually funnier...

Laora January 14, 2010 at 11:01 AM  

I should listen to my brother more often >_> he's always recommending me mangas and games online but I fail at concentrating to play/read them.

Post a Comment